Tuesday, February 17, 2009

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON HERE?!!!

Sorry, I've been incognito for so long. Since last August I'd had Carpel tunnel surgery scheduled for both hands. We wanted to make sure I would be ready for gardening in the spring. So January 5th Dr. Zirsky did my right hand. Then on January 30th he did the left hand. But I have had little time to recuperate with everything else that's been going on at the same time!You're probably wondering why I'm putting pictures of my kitchen on here. Well, I'm reminiscing. We've had a long month and a half. It all started that week after Christmas when our 18" of snow started to melt and we were busy sawing up all our broken trees into firewood, when we noticed our wood floor start to look like we'd had an earthquake. We knew it had to be water, but from where? A broken pipe under the kitchen floor maybe? Dennis went under the house and checked and then checked again. Everything was dry as a bone. He looked under the sink and dishwasher...nothing. So we put in a call to a plumber, who all, as you can imagine, were too busy to even call back. Good thing because about 5 days later we finally noticed a wet spot on top of the floor in front of the dishwasher. I actually found it when my stocking feet got wet. So again Dennis checked under the dishwasher while it was running this time, and sure enough when it drained, it drained all over the floor flowing under the hardwood, with the vapor barrier keeping it from leaking under the house. So we called the appliance repair guy (much cheaper than a plumber by the way!) and discovered it was a ruptured drain hose! Mystery solved...nightmare begins.
Yes, I do believe God uses insurance companies. State Farm has been great and are paying to put everything back as it was before...only it will be better because it will all be new! This is not the way I would choose to have a makeover...but after all, it is God's kitchen. We are learning so much from this experience. When you stop and really let it sink in that "this earth and everything in it is the Lords", it takes all the worry out of the situation. I know He will make all things beautiful in His time. I trust Him with all my heart...and HIS possessions!
In the meantime we struggle with no kitchen. We've learned some tricks, heating water on the woodstove for tea, cooking pasta in an electric fry pan, and of course we still have the use of our microwave. Praise the Lord for that! We have eaten out some, until we all, except Carissa that is, came down with the flu. Then it was back to making soup in the crock pot and tea...lots of tea! Everyone's back at work as of yesterday, thank the Lord! Things are looking up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

oh wow! Gladto hear that you are recuperating and also that you discovered what the water problem was. Did you have special water protection or flood insurance for that? I didn't think that things like that were covered in a regular policy. Curious for when it happens to us! Nice that you'll get a new floor! Yay!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 4:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Marci said...

As I understand it water damage is covered for a specific incident, like the ruptured pipe, but not for an ongoing leak over time that you didn't notice.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 1:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger Andee said...

I got an update from Mom through Grammy over the weekend (good to hear the whole story first hand). What a blessing that insurance is taking care of it! As my mom was giving me the run down, I kept seeing dollar signs. I guess it just goes to show God can use whoever he wants--even insurance company's!

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 7:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home